PLUS-SIZED OR NOT

I’m size 14, I get teased. I can still remember a week when I got a marathon blast.

On Sunday, I greeted a church member and he called me “two in one” and everyone around laughed. I think he just doesn’t know how to talk.

On Monday, I forgot to use the trafficator while making a U-turn and an angry motorist called me “an over-bloated bitch”. I guess he was just a demon sent to spoil my day.

On Tuesday, I temporarily misplaced a file and my boss called me “a disorganized orobo”. I felt flinging a resignation letter at his face.

On Wednesday, it was double- blasting. In the morning, my ill-mouthed elder sister called me “an unhealthy disgraceful thing”. She probably just woke up at the wrong side of the bed and I couldn’t reply her because she was my “elder sister” but in my mind I wished I could just punch her leper face. That was not all, in the evening that same day, I took a stroll wearing a bubu gown with three of my cousins who came visiting. A lady I supposed was my age mate passed by and said “good afternoon ma”, greeting like a proper “Yoruba girl”. I guess she thought I was like five years her senior. This alone left me embarrassed but my cousins didn’t even help matters. They teased the hell out of me. I just excused myself and went back home, I was angry but I was too matured to cry. Well, that’s a lie because I cried but briefly though.

On Thursday, I was at a friend’s party and a cute guy pushed me mistakenly and apologized. I jokingly said that if he injured me, he would have to marry me. The next thing the guy said was that he didn’t want to marry a girl he couldn’t carry for a wedding picture. I should have poured wine on his face.

On Friday, I went to the supermarket to get cookies (I love cookies by the way) and some other groceries. At the counter, I met Bola’s mum and I greeted her. Her eyes went straight to my basket and her mouth let loose. She called me “fat” and said I would “expand” soon enough because of my ‘sweet mouth”. I was thoroughly embarrassed, she didn’t even care that people were watching. I just dropped the basket and walked away. She later told my friend Bola that I insulted her.

On Saturday, my sister was planning a beach party for her birthday and I asked if I was invited. The rude lady said I couldn’t wear a bikini so I wasn’t needed.

You would agree with me that it was a marathon blast that week

This is an instance of the humiliation plus-sized people have to endure and this contributes a great deal to why people choose to embark on a weight loss journey. Some hide under the guise that they want to be healthier and fitter but most of the time, the real reason is to eliminate the constant teasing and embarrassment. They can’t be blamed anyway because the constant teasing and “bad-mouthing” makes them unconsciously lose their self-esteem and even makes a lot of them go all the way to hate their bodies and see it as a reproach.

The question is whether it’s a crime to be plus-sized?

At different times, I’ve heard people say that men don’t go for plus-sized and I always ask them why. I end up getting a lot of funny replies. One even said that men want a woman they would be able carry for their wedding photo and I’m like is that what marriage is about? If the guy isn’t able, the lady could do the carrying or they can just stand by each, it’s just a picture! Another said plus-sized ladies don’t look good in wedding gowns and I just couldn’t help laughing. That sounded so dumb.

Another notion people have about plus-sized people is “laziness”. To be sincere, that’s a myth. Anyone can be lazy, whether plus size or slim. Being smart and agile is not determined by your body-size because it’s actually a thing of the mind and every honest person would agree with me

I as a person, I’m plus-sized and have received a lot of teasing from people and even loved-ones and I’ve learnt not to let the words get to me. So personally, when I get teased, I throw the words back at them (except when it comes to elders of cause). Now, get me right. I’m not saying everyone one should act like that; it’s just my own way of preventing them from trampling on my self-esteem.

My point is judging an individual by his or her size is irrational. It’s just like judging someone by his or her skin color. Believe me; if you discriminate against plus-sized people, you are not better than a racist and you both have an unrefined mindset. Many people may not accept this opinion, but it’s the fact.

To the plus-sized people in the house, it’s important to appreciate your own body, someone one said;

“If you don’t love you then why should I?”

Don’t let what people say define you. If at all you want to lose weight, do so because you want to not because people say you should, the body belongs to you not them. The truth is you can’t satisfy people. Plus-size or slim, people would always have something to say, that’s the reality. Personally, I’m trying to lose weight, not because of what people say, but for health reasons.

In a nutshell, don’t judge people because of their look, try to see the good in them. Also, don’t let anyone bring you down. Remember you are good enough except you think otherwise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ANOTHER CAMPUS STORY

MY ONE YEAR EXPERIENCE AS A BLOGGER

GIVE BACK