NOT EVERYONE WILL APPRECIATE YOU

Last week I went to visit Joe, a cousin of mine for a sleep over but she seemed too busy to have my time. She was trying to make a birthday ankara-gown for a friend who had specially requested for it.

“I’m too broke to buy her a good gift, so I need to make the dress as lovely as it can be if that’s all I can give so I need no distraction”, said Joe

Therefore, I had no choice but to sit and watch her work. I really admired the effort and concentration she put into making the dress and it all paid off as the dress turned out to be so lovely

“You would make another one for me o”, I said as I held the dress up.

She just smiled and grabbed the dress from my hands, she still needed to steam it. she wanted it to look as perfect as possible.

The next day, the birthday girl arrived. I saw the happy and satisfied look on Joe’s face as she showed her friend the “dream gown”. I and Joe were expecting an excited compliment but it was the other way round.

“What happened to the collar now, this was not the exact design you showed me”

“What are you saying? This one is more beautiful and fits you better, wear it first”

“Wear what? I said I don’t like this design”

“But remember I told you I would make minor adjustments to make it look better”

“Really, so this is the better idea you had abi?”

Haba, I slept late because of this dress o”

“I should be the one feeling disappointed”

That was it, from an argument, it turned into a quarrel. I tried to calm both of them down but to no avail. Her friend eventually rejected the dress and left promising never to patronize her again. After she left, Joe stared at the dress and began to cry and I had to console her all the way. I felt so sympathetic as I saw disappointment clearly in the lines of her face.

I could relate to the feeling of not being appreciated after putting so much love and effort into something, but then I realized that such is life, not everyone would appreciate you or the effort you put into something. There would always be people who are naturally “fault-finders”. It’s a fact we must all accept, get used to and even anticipate. But it should never discourage us from giving our best rather, it should motivate us to perform even better than before. In other words, learn to turn every discouragement into a motivation to become better.

Thank you so much for reading this post, I leave you with this quote:

“Don’t let the discouragement from people pierce you, rather let it be the ointment that makes you a better you”

-Temituope Kekema

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ANOTHER CAMPUS STORY

MY ONE YEAR EXPERIENCE AS A BLOGGER

GIVE BACK